Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Thoughts on The Passion of the Christ

Because I grew up in a Christian household, The Passion of the Christ was one of the DVDs that sat wedged between Veggie Tales and Christmas movies in our TV cabinet. It was a movie that, as Christians, we were almost expected to watch at some point or another. Since I was very young when it came out, my parents didn't want me to watch it until I was at least 13. But here I am, almost 19 years old, watching the movie for the first time ever.

I was always terrified of this movie. Maybe it was because of the cover and the gory images I knew that it was filled with, or maybe because of the reverence my church and family put on it. I didn't think I'd like the film at all, especially because none of it is in English, but after watching it, I understand why everybody is so fascinated by it.

So many people grew up hearing the Passion story at Easter or in Sunday School, but it was always watered down. It was romanticized and made to be G-rated so that it could fit on the felt boards that Sunday School teachers were so fond on. I feel like through that, the Passion story lost the intensity and pain that is so present throughout it. I feel like believers forget that Jesus was human, that he felt every whip lash and thorn, every nail in his hand and foot. If anything, the film tells the story of a man who believed what he said and truly loved his disciples. If anything, it's a love story, a story of Jesus' passion for his people.

I watched the movie on my mom's Amazon Prime account, and it provided little bits of trivia on the side as the film progressed. Near the beginning, it talked about how much of the cast and crew converted to Catholicism when the film ended after seeing the story play out before their very eyes. The movie has such popularity in the Christian faith because of how real and raw and honest it is. It depicts Jesus' crucifixion as it is told by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. All the gospels have different versions of Jesus' last words, but Mel Gibson chooses to include all of them. Before he dies, Jesus asks God why he has forsaken him, says that it is accomplished, or finished, and says "Father, into your hands I commend my spirit." I found it fascinating that all of these versions were included in the movie. It was also interesting that they depicted all the different perspectives after Jesus died - the grief of his family and friends, the terror and grief of those who had crucified him, the anger and sadness of God in the destruction of the temple, even the weird bit with Satan screaming in hell (although not in grief of Jesus, but rather in grief of God carrying out his will).

All in all, the film did a great job depicting the death of Christ in a realistic, heartbreaking way. Even for those who are not Christian, the film is a story about redemption and sacrifice that any human being can connect to. It's a love story representing the love Jesus had for his friends, his followers, and the lengths he went to for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment