Sunday, April 10, 2016

Adam Plant

Adam Plant was an amazing speaker who spoke so much from the heart that I actually felt myself tear up at times.  Not only did we get to hear an inspiring story, we also got educated on a topic that is not widely discussed.  Adam broke down his talk into a few different parts.  He started by talking about vocabulary, which I found really important because words are thrown around so much these days; it is so useful to hear from personal experience what is offensive and what is not.  That “lesson” gave us the foundation for the rest of his presentation. 

As a Christian who hasn’t ever been persecuted by the church, it is hard to even fathom what Adam went, and maybe still goes, through.  Adam spoke openly about what it is like being a Christian and being Trans and how that interacts.  Through Adam’s story I learned how much “hidden” hate the church as a whole projects.  It opened my eyes up to the possibility and reality that such an arguable model for many actually causes deep, heartbreaking hurt for others.  Adam spoke about how when he told his pastor, his pastor responded by saying something along the lines of: “my heart is breaking for you.”  It is such a response you would expect in response to tragedy, and Adam’s proclamation was nothing close to a tragedy.  I also learned from this event that love and support goes a very, very long way.  There was one moment of the presentation that will always stick with me.  (Actually there were many moments).  Adam was talking about when he came out to his family.  He sent his father an email and his father’s response was simply something along the lines of: “I love you son.”  The simplicity of acceptance is something that Adam seems to treasure.    

One of the biggest teaching moments of Adam’s presentation was when he talked about what a Trans-inclusive worship space looks like.  He highlighted a few points that I think are important to share.  Adam spoke about how a worship space must make their welcome clear.  They must be specific in their inclusion because they have heard that “All lives matter” many times from people and places that don’t mean it.  A trans-inclusive worship space must make space available for all genders and identities, must educate people, and must talk about it.  And, the most important, trans-inclusive spaces must create support. 

A very memorable moment and main take away is as follows:

“Don’t let the church be a community that causes harm” – Adam Plant  



This presentation was worth every bit of the hour.  I am glad that I am now able to better understand what the Trans-community needs and what I can do to advocate and support those who are not advocated for or supported nearly enough.  I also must acknowledge the honesty, openness and character of Adam Plant.  It was truly an honor to hear him speak. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I didn't get the chance to go to the presentation, but I would have really liked to, and it sounds very interesting. However, I liked that you included Adam's quote, “Don’t let the church be a community that causes harm”. I agree that church should be a place where people can come together in community, and love on each other. I'm not fond of the idea of persecuting or rejecting people who do something that is "not biblical". Every person is a sinner in some way, and judging or discriminating against a person because they do something that is viewed as "anti-biblical" is anti-biblical in itself. I think we need to love each other for who we are, and not what we do. None of us are perfect, and none of us are in any place to judge someone else. Luke 6.37 "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, glad the event was a positive experience and, Rachel, nice perspective.

    ReplyDelete