Monday, April 25, 2016

Father Gerry Leaving

This is going to be a quick, short post but incase anyone attends the Elon Community Church for Catholic mass on Sundays, Father Gerry Waterman announced at mass yesterday that he is leaving Elon to go to Syracuse University as he received a prestigious job offer from SU.

I emailed Father Gerry and told him that I was from the Syracuse area and that upstate New York is not where many Elon students are from; I wished him the best and encouraged him to contact or reply to me should he have any questions about the lifestyle in that area.

Mass on the Grass is being held on Sunday in the Academic Pavilion quad. I encourage everyone to attend as this is Elon's first mass outside. I would also like to see people to wish Father Gerry good luck at Syracuse - it's a totally different school from Elon.

I'm not trying to force anyone to attend as I know that not everyone in our class is Catholic, but it's just a nice gesture. If you don't feel comfortable in attending, even sending him an email with some thoughtful words will be appreciated by him.

Looking forward to seeing The Passion of the Christ tomorrow night.

1 comment:

  1. I know it's common for priests to receive new assignments and move parishes frequently. Do priests have any say in where they want to be? How is this determined?

    ReplyDelete