Thursday, March 10, 2016

Perspective on Holy Land Experience

After taking a couple days to digest and process what we learned about in class on Tuesday, the Holy Land Experience (HLE), I would like to offer a few perspectives.
First of all, when you are asking someone their opinion about a certain aspect of the HLE, their response largely depends on their perspective and where they are coming from.  A Catholic, Protestant, and non-Christian may all have widely varying opinions depending on the question.  In the same way, different people will certainly have different opinions with regard to HLE and the activities that take place there.
Overall, I thought the idea of the park was pretty interesting and even comedic.  I thought it was funny how the park follows stereotypes of common theme parks such as loud, repetitive music and in-your-face characters and cardboard cutouts.  However, I do recognize what they are attempting to do and believe that in general they are doing good by spreading Christianity in this way.  I would even consider going there myself if I am ever in Orlando.
When "Jesus" began baptizing people and when people participated in the Last Supper recreation was when it got slightly controversial for me.  As a Catholic, I believe in the Real Presence in the Eucharist.  That is, during a Catholic Mass, when an ordained priest consecrates the Eucharist, the bread and wine physically and truly become the Body and Blood of Christ.  Lay people (non-ordained) are not able to do this and there is also a whole service that goes along with this; we don't just receive Communion and leave.
As for the Baptism, we have slightly more specific rules for this as well.  An ordained priest or deacon must perform the Baptism, except in extreme emergency situations.  Again, there is a whole service and process that goes along with the Baptism; there are special symbols and actions involved.  In other words, it is much more than an arbitrary "Jesus" dunking someone in a large, luxurious pool.
I do want to write a sort of disclaimer.  While my tradition may not necessarily recognize these baptisms and Communions as licit or valid, I do not want to harshly discount someone involved just for doing something that does not entirely align with my faith tradition.
Though my faith traditions differ from those practiced at the HLE, we share our roots in Christ.  At the end of the day, if we can find some common ground and be able to positively relate to each other, that is an accomplishment.  I think the same can go for anyone, not just Christians, or religions at all.  If people could focus more on relating to each other than starting conflicts and arguments, the world might be a better place.  Instead of finding ways to "other" people, find ways to bring yourself together with others.  Just some food for thought.

John Walkowski

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I definitely think that I was really quick to judge the HLE. When I thought about it afterwards, I realized that maybe I was too harsh. The park isn't really hurting anyone, and the people who go seem to really enjoy it. I agree that the communion and baptism was a little strange, but I think that overall I was a little too judgmental. Thanks again for posting!

    ReplyDelete