Sunday, May 1, 2016

"Why Jesus' Skin Color Matters"

Hey everyone! So as we wrapped up our discussion last class, I thought I would post this article that was posted in Christianity Today, titled "Why Jesus' Skin Color Matters."  I remember Dr. Huber asking us this question in some similar form or another and as soon as I logged onto Facebook after class, I saw that my pastor had posted this on her wall-- crazy timing.

I apologize that it is kind of a lengthier article than we normally post on our blog, but I promise, it is worth the read.  It speaks more to the perspective of Jesus' skin color being closer to black than white. I find it fascinating that the author of this article is completely confident in her proclamation that Jesus is not white.  Her statement: "Not only is white Jesus inaccurate, he also can inhibit our ability to honor the image of God in people who aren’t white" is one of the main reasons why I thought to post this.  

What do you guys think of her perspective?  What do you all make of the direct quote written above? 

Again, I am sorry that the article isn't short and sweet but it's a good read and is linked HERE.  

4 comments:

  1. Hey Annie! This is a great article. I think it mentions things that we haven't touched upon during class discussion that are really interesting. What I got out of reading this article is the concept that Jesus was a minority and was treated as such. In his personal life, Jesus experienced discrimination and social injustice because of his culture, background, and beliefs. This is something that I wish we could learn more about in Christianity. I think if this side of Jesus was shared more openly, it could help even more people identify with him. However on the opposite end, I wonder if it would make it harder for some to identify with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your perspective! I agree that learning about Jesus as a minority would be an interesting topic to study in Christianity. Your point about the the "opposite end" is great. I wonder too if people, who are so used to worshipping someone in the same (or thought to be) race as themselves would struggle to worship someone who identified as being a minority. I think that maybe this would be especially hard for people who use white Jesus as a defense, or maybe even weapon.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete