Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Notes from 5/3

Housekeeping things

*FINAL DUE 5/12 @9AM*
Also meeting for the "final" at 9:00am rather than 8:00am
Remember to properly cite in-text- No bibliography needed

Liturgy
  • Greek word (leitourgema) a composite of laos (people) and ergo (work), suggesting an act that was a public duty
  • Describes form or pattern of workshop or ritual performed
  • Denominations and individual congregations vary in their "liturgy," although even churches that describe themselves as "non-liturgical" may follow a liturgical logic
    • Catholic for instance "prescribed experience", universal
    • Protestants vary more in liturgical ceremonial experience
  • Vary in formality from denomination to denomination

Liturgical calendar based on (birth, death, life, resurrection) calendar of events
Over three years, you are hearing all the prescribed texts

We can think about liturgy and worship patterns in 'spectrum'

PRESCRIBED
I
I
I
I
FORMAL I I I I I I I I I I I I I INFORMAL
I
I
I
I
NOT PRESCRIBED

Prescribed means HIGHER order not just congregational historical order

Factors Shaping the Liturgy
  • Denominational affiliation
  • Congregational history
  • Congregational character
  • Temporal factors: season/day/time
  • Spatial factors
  • Financial factors
  • Others?
    • Children
    • Gender assumptions
    • Size of congregation

What happens during the liturgy often tells us about congregational values *

Worship in Two Christian Traditions

Pentecostalism

An evangelical Christian movement, growing out of the American Camp Meeting and the Holiness movements of the 19-20th centuries
  • Sharing and converting
  • Importance of "born again"

What does Vondey tell us about emergence of Pentecostal tradition?
  • Influenced by early African American worship practices and slave worship, although multi-racial today
  • Holy Spirit guiding the liturgy
  • Unstructured ***but also embodied worship

Beliefs:
  • Inerrancy of the Bible
  • Gifts of the Holy Spirit (glossolalia) spiritual languages
  • Faith healing (as a sign of devotion and faithfulness)
  • God's imminent return and the rapture of the Church
  • Generally conservative on social/moral issues

*Aimee Semple McPherson- founder of the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel

Growth of Pentecostalism
  • Hundreds of denominations and non-denominational congregations: Assemblies of God, Church of God in Christ, Universal Church of the Kinddom of God
  • One of the fastest growing traditions in the world, especially in the Global South
  • 2006 Pew Study concluded that 1/4 of world's Christians identify as Pentecostal or charismatic
  • Pentecostalism is growing rapidly in Latin America (90% Catholic in 1960's, now only 69%, while 65% Pentecostal or charismatic)

Check out Pentecostal worship videos on Youtube!

  • Enthusiasm
  • Crying
  • Healing
  • Physical contact
  • Repetitive

{EXTREME EMOTION}

Importance placed on egalitarianism
Evangelical identity
  • Not ashamed
  • What we do here impacts what is happening outside
  • Boundary between sacred and profane is permeable


Quakers (Society of Friends)

Movement emerges in the 17th century in England under George Fox
  • Has a direct call from God
  • Teachings about Inner light and inner voice regardless
  • Following the light leads to spiritual development and perfection

Focus on a lifestyle plainness and simplicity
God's continued revelation
Belief in radical and many came to RI and that PA seeking sanctuary
A variety of sects of Friends
  • Ranging from more traditionally Protestant to Non-theists/Universalists
In 2010 there were about 360,000 Quakers worldwide, with the largest concentration in Kenya.  There are 85,000-90,000 Quakers in the US

Devoted to peace
  • Conscientious objection
  • Abolition of slavery

20th century, two types of Quakerism (liberal and evangelical)

Liberal Quakers (11%)
  • Progressive social causes )disarmament, racial and social justice, care for the environment)
  • Waiting worship (listening, shaking hands)

***MEETING****

Why would I put Pentecostalism and Quakerism in the same class lecture?
  • Holy spirit focused- listening for God from different directions

Important theological differences, although similar

No comments:

Post a Comment