Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Baptismal imagery in "The River" by Manchester Orchestra

I have wanted to talk for some time about the baptismal imagery in one of my favorite songs The River by Manchester Orchestra. It is such a favorite of mine in fact, that I have plans to get lyrics tattooed. The lead of the band is openly Christian and biblical themes frequently slide subtlety into his music. The chorus is as follows:
Oh god I need it 
So let me see again 
Take me to the river 
And let me see again 
Oh my god 
Let me see again 
Oh my god 
Let me see again 
Let me see again 

These lines are, to me, calling out to God. The singer asks: "let me see again" a possible reference to the story of Jesus restoring sight to the blind. He then asks "take me to the river" a reference to the tradition of baptism by river submerging. Near the end of the song the meaning becomes even more overt the final lyrics calling:
Oh god I need it
Well I was wrong again
Take me to the river
And make me clean again
Oh my god
Make me clean again
And oh my god
Let me see again

The author asks God to "make him clean again" asking to be washed of sin in the river. This is further illustrated if you prefer the lyrics the singer uses in live shows (and the lyrics I would want tattooed). In this version the final "Oh God I need it." is replaced by: "Oh God I'm sorry." He asks forgiveness as he is baptized.  





No comments:

Post a Comment