Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Baptism in a New Light

Due to the stormy weather in the forecast for Sunday, I was disappointed to find out that the location for Mass on the Grass was changed to the Elon Community Church. As a Catholic, I was excited to practice my faith in a different kind of worship service that was outside instead of inside the traditional church building. I went to the relocated church event nonetheless and did not regret my decision. Even though there was no outside liturgy, I was still able to experience the baptism of an Elon sophomore college student. I have been to multiple Catholic baptisms in my childhood, but I was too young to really concentrate on the details and to understand the meaning of the event. Not only could I better comprehend the significance of this baptism, but I also was able to experience a baptism of someone my own age, whereas the past baptisms I have attended were for newborn children. I was so impressed that a busy college student was courageous enough and passionate enough about the Catholic faith to convert, especially at this vulnerable and critical time in her life. Since this sacrament converted the student, this baptismal event aligns with the information we learned in class that baptism is a way to be adopted into the church as a new member and as a child of God. All of the symbols of baptism, such as the lighting of the candle, anointing of oil, renunciation of Satan, presence of white garments, the sign of the cross, baptizing with water, and many more, were present. As a child experiencing my cousins' baptisms, I was unaware of the significance of these items, but now that I am more educated about the meaning of the sacrament, I was able to watch this student's baptism with an attentive and analytical perspective. When the candle was lit, it demonstrated that there was a new light present that sin cannot overcome, which touches on baptism's themes of rebirth and renewal. The anointing of oil sealed the student being baptized with the gift of the Holy Spirit and also protects her from future sin. The white clothing symbolizes purity, new life, and innocence as a new member in the church. As the student was baptized with water, the water washed away original sin and echoed the three people in one God, the Trinity. This was definitely a worthwhile experience, and I loved being able to apply what I learned in class to an event that frequently occurs within my own religion.

3 comments:

  1. Lily,
    Although I couldn't attend, I was interested to hear about how the "Mass on the Grass" had turned out. I know Fr. Gerry had emphasized people of many faiths being welcomed to this event, and I hope that it was successful, although inside. What was the attendance like? Could you tell if there were many Christians of other denominations in addition to the regular Catholic congregation? I'd be interested to see how those who do not regularly attend reacted to the Baptism.
    This "public Baptism" took me back to the Theme Park Christianity conversation and article that we read in the beginning of the semester. You seem to be regarding the student who was baptized here at Elon with much more enthusiasm and validity than that of the man baptized at the Trinity Broadcasting Park. Besides being baptized by an ordained priest, how did the service at "Mass on the Grass" differ from the public baptism at the Amusement Park?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting! I was raised a Catholic, yet I have never witnessed a baptism in person (except for my own when I was only a little baby). I am excited to see a baptism in person one day. Do you know how they were going to perform the baptism if the service remained in its original outside location? Specifically, would it have been full immersion, or would water only be poured over the head?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also attended Mass on the Grass/Inside and was actually able to lector for the evening. I thought attendance was rather impressive; we usually have a 4pm and 6pm Mass but this week only held a 5pm to get everyone to come, but I still thought there was a good amount of people. I spotted a few fellow CT (Christian Traditions) classmates and know some of my friends mentioned they knew of several visitors as well. Although I was born and raised Catholic, I've never witnessed a non-infant Baptism so this was interesting even for myself.
    I believe the Baptism would have been exactly or nearly the same had the Mass been celebrated outside. For the pouring of the water, the candidate stood in a kiddie pool while Father Gerry poured water over her head with a pitcher. I'm including a link for an album of pictures taken during the Mass. Please feel free to respond with any questions! Enjoy!

    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1076301222431407.1073741883.151069508287921&type=3

    ReplyDelete